Sunday, August 29, 2010

Help! I'm bleeding....

I've been  stabbed in the hubris!

Ok, maybe it's not that bad, but it does smart a bit. I just read at the critique group for the first time and I've got to say, it was hard.  I already knew most of the things they mentioned:  Don't use an -ly words just choose better verbs, stay away from 'was', create more tension, and get to the main action quickly (yeah, I know I just used an  -ly word- $@#$ ). 

Before I began reading, I thought I'd receive at least a few more 'I liked xxx part' or the humor kept me reading.  Of course, I hated the whole thing myself by the end.  Nervousness made my voice pitchy, I fumbled words and ruined the tone/pace by speeding through it.  I stopped reading before the timer to save us all from the agony.

Whew.  It's done though.  It'll never be my first public reading again.  I'm a bit daunted, but ready to work on making my story something people would want to keep listening to or reading.

Now the hard part...more writing!

~Cinnamon

1 comment:

  1. Wow I'm impressed! Congrats on your first public speaking and sharing session! How bold of you *walks away jealous* I am in awe of you!

    My first critique was online and it was AWFUL! I hated myself and the piece I'd written after three people had butchered it to pieces, I originally hated them as well, but after three days (a period of time to relax and the advice my crit partners gave me) I realized I'd done the right thing, they helped me, gave me the advice I needed and now I have thicker skin!

    ReplyDelete